Are you moving to a new country or to a new home which is smaller than your current home? Then you need to downsize. Downsizing is a lengthy process, and you need to find ways to remove the clutter from your things efficiently.
Downsizing your home means cleaning your closets, garage storage, and drawers. Some hard decisions of letting go of things that you do not use anymore and will not use in the near future. Because a smaller space means less space to accommodate all your things, so choose wisely!
Here are a few tips to help you downsize your home.
1. Clutter Down Clothing
- A closet is a space that occupies a tremendous amount of space and is the best place to start downsizing. You have to choose what to keep and get rid of the multiples. Remember if you have not worn one piece in a year, then you would not be wearing it again.
- Do not go throwing away your unneeded piles of clothes; you can generate some money from those. Here are a few ways you can get cash for clothes you do not need anymore.
- Sell them to companies: There are companies like quickcashforclothes UK who would buy your clothes from you at a reasonable rate and even pick those clothes from your house. Can life be any easier?
- Carboot sale: If you want to sell those clothes yourself, then you can go to your nearest car boot sale in your area. There are many interested in buying used clothes who frequent such places as car boot sale centres.
- The above suggestions are ways you can get rid of the closet clutter and even generate some cash while doing so.
2. Check Out Your New Place
If you are moving somewhere nearby or a town away, then you can visit the new place to get an idea of how much space you will have. This will help you determine how much downsizing you need to do to eliminate the unnecessary things in your house.
3. Storage Units
If you are not sure about the size of your new house, then it is not essential that you get rid of all the things by selling or donating them. Instead, you can put that extra stuff like furniture into a rented storage unit, and once you are sure that you will not need them, you can sell them off.
4. Digitally Backup the Photos
In this 21st century, you can make digital copies of your items which will help you keep track of them and probably stored in a small space. Also, these digital files can be taken anywhere and anytime without having a bulky weight. Lastly, they are a great way to stay organized.
5. Sentimental Memories
Even though some of your items can be digitalized, some others are irreplaceable, and nobody can force you to part with them. You can always have a box of things that are irreplaceable, the way you can carry them along with you always.
It is tough, but you can get through the process while taking each step per time. In the end, when you clutter down, you will have space for other things and also handling the move would be easier.