Without a doubt, Snapchat is one of the most popular social media tools that has made its way into the hearts of the younger generation. Starting from privacy features to some of the insane filters, Snapchat may have cracked the code to stay in trend when other social media platforms may have lost their spark. In December 2022, the company reported more than 363 million daily active users. The number itself should be enough to confirm the dominance Snapchat holds in the commercial market.
One important thing that Snapchat needs is access to the camera. What is Snapchat without camera access? Learn how to allow it in a few simple steps by reading until the end.
For all the new Snapchat users who are still trying to figure out the application and its features, we have listed below some key aspects of the application, to help you in this journey of exploring one of the most fun and creative apps available.
What is Snapchat?
Well, it is an instant messaging application. However, it operated in a very nice sub-segment of instant message-sharing applications because the one thing that sets it apart is the duration for which the message is available to the receiver.
Users can send text messages along with pictures or videos and they will only be available to the message receiver for a few seconds before disappearing forever unlike other applications offering the user more control over personal conversations.
To send a picture or video message, naturally, the application will need access to the camera in the device. Listed below are the steps one can achieve this within a few seconds
1- Android phone users:
If you are an Android phone user, follow these quick steps to ensure that Snapchat works perfectly fine on your device
- Launch the settings application on your phone
- Now go to either the ‘App’ section or in some cases, the right option would be ‘Apps & notifications’
- Scroll down and locate Snapchat from the list of options showcasing all applications on your device
- Once located, click on the icon
- Click on the option ‘Permissions’ (this will provide you with a list of permissions that you can allow the application)
- Select the option ‘Camera’ (You can choose any other option as well that wish to use along with Snapchat from the list of options)
- Next, there will be a pop-up asking you to choose the kind of access you wish to provide. For instance “As every time” or “Allow only while using the app’
- Choose the option that best fits your needs and you are good to go!
Provide camera access from within the application
There is another way of letting the Snapchat app gain access to the camera. We have listed the steps below for your understanding:
- Launch the Snapchat application on your phone
- Locate the profile picture on the application and tap on it
- In the next window, go to the top-right corner and click on the Setting option. The icon for the same looks like a gear
- Once you click on the icon, it will open the settings for the application
- You need to go to the Additional Services option and further tap on Manage
- In the next pop-up click on the Permissions option
- This will provide you with a list of all the permissions Snapchat already holds. In case, there a certain permission is disabled, you will see a red-colored Tap to Enable button
- After clicking on this, the application will drive you to your phone’s settings where you can enable the Camera option to allow Snapchat the required access
2- iPhone users:
If you are an iPhone user, the steps mentioned above may not be applicable to you and hence there are a different set of instructions drafted for you. Here are the steps that will solve the issue for Apple product users:
- Launch the Setting app on your iPhone
- Scroll down until you locate the Snapchat option
- From the list of options, click on the Camera option (If the color green appears, it means that the feature is enabled but if the color is red, it means it is disabled)
- This will let the Snapchat application gain complete access to the device’s camera for further functioning
If you are someone who has followed these steps already and provided the necessary access to Snapchat but the app is still unable to access it properly, there may be something wrong with the system and you might have to follow a few extra steps to resolve this issue.
1- The application itself is not updated
If the Snapchat application is not updated to its latest version, there is a high chance that the features in the app may not function up to the mark. The only solution is to update the application to its latest version which will ensure that any bug disturbing the access rights gets resolved.
How to update the application on Android
- Open Play Store on the phone
- You will see three horizontal lines on the left side of the screen
- Scroll below to locate the applications & games section and click on it
- Locate Snapchat and check if there is a pending update to be taken care of. If yes, make sure to update it
How to update the application on iPhone
- Go to the App store
- Go to your profile which is present at the top-right corner of the screen
- Locate Updates from the list of options mentioned below
- Find Snapchat and update it to its latest version
These steps are easy to follow and in most cases do the job. When we said at the start of the discussion ‘What is Snapchat without Camera access? Learn how to allow it in a few simple steps!’, we started the conversation because most of us may not be able to get around the technical aspects of such applications.
If you are already using the application or intend to use them anytime soon, it is imperative that you provide the right access to the application to ensure that the app can perform to its fullest. In case, Snapchat is still unable to access the camera, we recommend restarting the phone and closing all the other applications running in the background which will allow Snapchat to have more flexibility.