Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka (COMEDK) is a State level exam for the State of Karnataka. Karnataka Professional Colleges Foundation, in their endeavor to offer an efficient, reasonable and objective testing process to determine merit of students seeking admission to the member institutions, have formed “COMEDK”. Presently, 14 medical, 23 dental and more than 150 engineering colleges, making more than 20,000 seats for aspirants, for under graduation are affiliated to COMEDK. KPCF and KUPECA have been entrusted with COMEDK with the responsibility of conducting the entrance examination and seat selection.
The entrance test COMEDK UGET is usually held in the month of May. The online application forms filling begins in the month of March and the last date of receipt of complete application forms is till April. Within the first week of July, the results are declared and the cut off list is released. The eligibility criteria for the candidates wanting to appear for COMEDKUGET which is for their under graduate programs, is that they must have passed class 12th exam or 2nd PUC, also those who are appearing in class 12th are also eligible to take the exam. The score of COMEDK test is valid for a period of one year.
COMEDK UGET has three separate papers for each of the programs. The three papers include along with the subjects to be answered are:
- Engineering paper includes Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. All three subjects have 60 questions each. Hence, making it 180 questions in all.
- Medical and Dental paper includes Physics and chemistry in the first session. And Biology and English in the next session. All four subjects contain 60 questions each, making it a total of 240 questions.
- Medical/Dental and Engineering courses (both) paper includes Physics, Chemistry and Math held in first session followed by Biology and English in the next session. All the five subjects contain 60 questions each, making it a total of 300 questions.
- For architecture the candidate has to take National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA). And candidates with minimum score of 80 out of 200 can apply.
The syllabus of the COMEDKUGET is based on the existing syllabus of 10+2/ 2nd PUC. Thequestion paper is objective (MCQ), carrying one mark each. There is no negative marking for wring answer. However, in the event of a tie in the test score the principle of least negative responses (Number of wrong answers) will be adopted.
For post graduate courses in medical and dental only, aspiring students have to appear for COMEDK PGET exam. The institutes for PG are only in Karnataka. Key figures for COMEDK institution for post graduation:
- PG Medical Colleges: 12 Institutions offering MD/MS admissions
- PG Dental Colleges: 19 Institutions offering MDS admissions.
There is an aggregate of 600 + seats for post graduation.
Eligibility criteria for COMEDK PGET exam is:
- Applicants must meet all the requirement stipulated by MCI/DCI
- They should have successfully passed their MMBS/BDS from an Institute recognized by MCI/DCI.
- They must have also completed or be completing their internship by April of the year they apply.
- Must secure 50% for general merit candidates and 40% for SC, ST, OBC belonging to Karnataka State in COMEDK PGET.
- They should also obtain permanent registration with the MCI/DCI or any of the State Medical/ Dental Council.
The notification for COMEDK PGET is generally made aware in the month of November and the registration begins simultaneously. The registration continues till the month of January, next year. And the same month the exam COMEDK PGET is held. Within a month the result of the entrance test is declared.
The syllabus for COMEDKPGET is based on the M.B.B.S./B.D.S syllabus as prescribed by MCI/DCI respectively. There are two separate tests for PG Medical and PG Dental. The COMEDK PGET test for both PG Medical as well as PG Dental is an objective exam (MCQ) comprising of 180 questions per paper.
COMEDK PGET for PG Medical test is divided into two sections:
- Section I: Direct MCQ’s- 120 questions of 1 mark each
- Section II: Clinical vignettes linked MCQ’s – 60 questions of 1 mark each
COMEDK OGET for PG Dental test is also divided into two sections:
- Section I: Direct MCQ’s- 148 questions of 1 mark each
- Section II: Clinical vignettes linked MCQ’s- 32 questions of 1 mark each
There is no negative marking but, in the event of tie in the score the principle of least negative responses (Number of wrong answers) will be adopted.
Come and give COMEDK!! All the best!