If the baby cannot be breastfed for various reasons, there is no other choice but to reach for baby formula. It is a milk formula, which in the first six months of life is the basic and only food for an infant. A baby formula is rich and varied enough to meet the infant’s needs and adapted to the digestive capacity of an immature organism.
Types of Baby Formulas: How to Choose the Right One?
Thanks to the advanced state of research on breast milk, modern formulas are similar in composition to breast milk. They contain easily digestible proteins, unsaturated fatty acids, and substances that strengthen immunity in appropriate proportions. Due to the frequent occurrence of allergies, food intolerance, and various gastric problems in babies, there are also options for babies with specific nutritional needs.
Here are two main points to consider when choosing the right baby formula for your little one:
- The baby’s age. The formulas marked with the number 1 are designed for newborns and babies up to the age of 6 months. The babies between 6 and 12 months should be fed formulas marked as 2. Later, you should reach for a baby formula 3, designed for children over 1 year. You can also find formulas marked with 4, which are created for toddlers.
- Health condition and nutritional needs. Baby formula manufacturers make every effort to ensure their offer includes products dedicated to children with special nutritional needs. You can find anti-reflux formulas, products for allergy sufferers, products that help cope with colics and constipation, formulas for premature babies, and more. In addition to specialized formulas, there are also milk replacers that can be used only for medical indications. Among them are products designed for infants with an allergy to cow milk proteins.
Aside from these two key parameters, check the following:
- whether the formula contains all the crucial trace elements, vitamins, and long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- is it an organic formula that meets very strict ecological standards set out in EU regulations;
- whether the formula has all the valid quality and safety certificates.
You should select a baby formula for your little one with your baby’s pediatrician. The specialist will determine if your infant requires products for babies with specific nutritional needs and help you choose the right option.
Holle Baby Formulas: Product Range and Beneficial Features
The Holle company was founded in 1933 and adopted the production of organic food for children and babies as its mission. The brand stated to eliminate the usage of all preservatives and chemicals that are not required by law in its goods. All production sectors comply with the highest technological standards and meet the highest requirements and ISO certificates.
Holle is committed to protecting the global climate. Since 2013, it has been offsetting CO2 equivalent emissions from the production of infant formula. Emission certificates are obtained by implementing Soil & More’s biodynamic composting projects in Egypt and South Africa. Holle supports various projects that support natural diversity instead of genetic engineering.
The manufacturer offers three basic lines of Holle European formula for babies:
- Holle Bio, based on organic cow milk;
- Holle A2, based on milk from specially selected cows that naturally produce A2 milk;
- Holle Goat Milk Formula, based on goat milk.
Holle Bio line comes in four stages for babies of different ages. These baby formulas hold the Demeter certification. Each product is made from 99% organic components, with the other 1% being the necessary vitamins and minerals. The milk used for this product line comes from cows from biodynamic Demeter farms, meaning they graze on lush fields and pastures and do not overcome the dehorning procedure. Besides, the farmers use pesticide-free and GMO-free agricultural practices to support environmental sustainability.
A2 milk is more similar to human breast milk in its composition. Casein makes the main part of the milk protein structure with A1 and A2 beta-casein being the two most common kinds. A2 milk is digested easier and faster. Holle A2 product line is EU organic certified and is a great option for infants and toddlers with sensitive tummies.
Holle Goat Milk formulas are great for babies with sensitive tummies since goat milk is also digested easier than regular cow milk. Babies digest the best goat milk formula roughly two times faster. The reason is that the milk proteins in such goat milk-based formulas form milk clumps in the stomach that are smaller and softer than those formed by cow milk. Still, goat milk products are not always a good option for babies with cow milk protein allergy because of the risk of a cross-over reaction. Therefore, you must check with your pediatrician and sometimes with an allergist, too, before choosing a baby formula for your little one.