Employee productivity is a big concern for every organization. In today’s corporate environment, market competition has reached a new height. One of the biggest reasons for losing market and revenue is lower productivity. Human Resource (HR) plays a pivotal role in productivity. It’s the responsibility of organizational leadership to take care of the HR to keep them in a state where they can perform at the optimized level.
Exclusive tips to boost employee productivity
The major concern of the management is to make their employees more productive. More productive means more flawless output within a given time period. Following tips are proven ways to optimize employee productivity:
- Recruit skilled manpower – This is extremely vital. If the management matches skills with tasks, i.e. recruit those who are appropriate for a given project or for the unit then productivity improves without much effort. Employees know what they need to do, how to perform those jobs, and what aspects of their respective jobs should be prioritized.
- Time management – Employees need to be perfect in this matter. In many situations, it’s seen that employees spoil time in some unimportant jobs that they could have done later. Employees must be trained on the importance of time management. In this matter, a surveillance system can be a better option to find where the employees losing time and if there is any dereliction on their part.
- Effective physical setup – Though this part is often neglected, the physical setup of the office or operation unit plays a vital role in enhancing employee productivity. The tables and chairs that the employees use for so many hours every day or the tools and equipment with which the workers accomplish their jobs need to easy, accessible and performing. Ergonomically designed tables and chairs let the employees sit for hours and work with equal enthusiasm for hours. For example, a monitor standing desk can help the white-collar worker with more enthusiasm and perfection.
- Smooth sailing communication – In absence of unhindered two-way communication, performance often deteriorates. Employees want to clarify any doubts. They may need immediate solutions for many issues. The right information at right time makes every job easy for the down-level people. In today’s corporate environment, communication plays a vital role in employee performance. At the same time, communication matrices have changed a lot in the last couple of years. It’s the responsibility of the management to take care of these aspects to make the employees habituated to the new communication ambiance that includes SMS, email, and social media.
- Make employees responsible – Corporate bosses should make employees their partners, not mere workers. This is a huge responsibility. An environment should be created where the employees should feel that they are important to the organization, not just workers. Regular delegation of works, decentralization, including employees in the think tank, accepting suggestions from employees, and several other methods as the management feel suitable for the company can be adopted to make employees responsible. Once employees feel that they are important to the company, productivity is sure to improve.
- Give recognition – One of the effective ways to make the employees highly productive is giving them due to recognition for their performance. It can be planned in many ways like cash reward, fringe benefits, special incentives, extra commission, or public recognition. In this matter, it’s feasible to understand the personal preference of the individual employees. However, in a large organization where hundreds or thousands of employees work, it’s tough to take care of individual preferences. In such cases, mass appealing recognition systems could be considered.
Making employees productive is not a mere managerial responsibility but an organizational process. It should be a part and parcel of organizational culture. Above-mentions tips work wonders if understood well and practiced with diligence.