Whether you plan to dig a project for residential development, commercial development, or extend electrical, water, or gas supply lines, you must carefully locate and track underground buried utilities to prevent injuries and fatalities.
The first and foremost step is reviewing a buried utility map if it is available. If there is no map available, the entire process becomes complicated. In the olden times, the only way was by digging the ground. However, this method was time-consuming and often led to severe injuries. So, the experts begin to look for a safe way to perform the digging project without causing any damage.
If you plan a digging project without locating an underground utility, you may damage the electrical, gals, or water supply lines. It is a risky affair for human life, costs you more, delay the project, and damages your organization’s reputation.
So, if all this while you were looking for an easy way to locate and track an underground power supply line, you have come to the right place. Read on to know how to play it safe using an easy way to locate an underground utility.
An easy way to play it safe when locating and tracking an underground power supply line
Looking at the ever-increasing demand to locate and track buried power supply lines, the experts sensed the requirement for the development of an easy way. An option that isn’t only easy, applicable to a range of identification and mapping needs, safe, and affordable. It led to the development of an underground wire tracker.
This device allows you to conduct locating and tracking of underground utilities safely and accurately.
The power of an underground utility locator
As discussed above, in the olden days, the only way to track an underground utility was to dig for it. At times, you can get some help from the map plans. However, it was almost like a blind search.
Contrarily, when you use an underground wire locator, you can pick electromagnetic signals from the buried lines without digging. This way, you can safely and accurately locate and track the full extent of buried supply lines.
Active and passive signals
There are two ways to pick up electromagnetic signals from buried power supply lines:
Passive signals- The device uses the electromagnetic signals naturally produced by the buried utilities. For instance, powered lines can be detected using passive signals.
Active signals- These signals are applied to the buried cable lines by a transmitter. This method is effective when:
- several buried utilities are making the differentiation process hard,
- when the buried cable lines can’t produce strong signals, or
- when the buried lines have no natural signals of their own.
Steps to locate a buried power supply line
With the right underground wire locator, the entire process to locate a buried power supply line becomes relatively simple. The steps involved are as follows:
- Select the right underground utility locator: Majorly two locator types are utility and magnetic locators. The utility locator detects electromagnetic signals. So, to locate and trace a power supply line, you need to use a pipe and cable locator.
- Determine whether or not you require an active signal: Next, you need to determine the location strategy. In case the lines are powered, you need to start with passive signals and later incorporate active signals if need be.
- If need be, apply an active signal: If required connect the transmitter to the cable line which thereby, sends electromagnetic signals to help your receiver differentiate the active signals generated from other passive signals.
- Identify the most likely location of the buried power supply line: Before starting with the sweeping process, you need to make an educated guess. Do refer to the mapping plan for finding the utility location.
- Sweep using the locator: Beginning with low sensitivity, you need to sweep the locator over the ground. Go slow, methodically, and try locating the targeted line.
- Narrow down your search: Gradually increase the sensitivity and switch from coarse sweep to small sweep. Finally, you will locate the spot where the signal is the strongest.
- Mark the first identified location of the underground supply line: Mark the spot from where the first prominent positive signal comes.
- Keep tracing the path and mark each location as you move forward: Keep moving ahead while marking the cable path.
Underground wire locators are the safest and the most accurate device designed to easily locate and track an underground power supply line without causing any injuries or fatalities.
So, invest in a high-quality wire locator today and continue with your digging project without any worries.