For a gamer, sometimes not being able to update the game becomes the most frustrating thing in this world. It is because you can’t enjoy the new features that you will get after updating your game. You will see an error content file locked while updating a game.
So, how can you deal with this problem? We can only suggest you remove all the local game content and reinstall it from scratch. But this method is very time-consuming and data-consuming. Still, you’re facing this issue after applying this long solution, do not worry. We are here to help you. We will show you some other simple and effective ways to fix Steam content file locked errors.
1. Check antivirus
Sometimes the error occurred due to the antivirus present in your computer.
The antivirus will mark the steam file as a potential virus, and it will not allow you to write those file on your hard disk.
So if you want to update your game, you have to disable the antivirus present on your computer.
Remember that you have to disable the antivirus not to uninstall it. Uninstalling the antivirus can bring a massive threat to the whole of your computer.
Please have a look at the steps for disabling the antivirus present on your computer.
- In the Windows notification area, find the Antivirus icon.
2 Right-click on the antivirus icon and select Disable.
After clicking on the disable, your antivirus will get disabled.
Now, you have to check the integrity of the game files after disabling the antivirus.
- You have to restart your computer after disabling the antivirus.
- Relaunch Steam to check the integrity of game files.
- Visit the library section and right-click on the game that you want to update.
- Click on the Properties section after right-clicking on the game.
- Find the Local files tab in the properties section and click on the Verify integrity of game files button.
It will start checking the integrity of the game files.
If you’re still facing the steam content file locked error after disabling the antivirus, we will recommend you switch to another antivirus.
2. Reset the Winsock
Resetting the Winsock is another way to solve the content file locked error.
Here are the steps you have to follow to reset the Winsock.
- Open the run dialogue box by pressing the Windows Key+R button.
- Type netsh winsock reset in the run dialogue box.
- Click on the Ok button to execute the command.
- You have to restart your computer.
After restarting the computer, you will see that your problem gets solved.
3. Run the Disk scan
Sometimes the hard drive containing game files gets corrupted and causes this content locked error.
So that is why you need to run the disk scan to solve the issue. Below, we will show you the steps to do so.
- Press the Windows key+R button to open the run dialogue box.
2 Type cmd in the run dialogue box and click on the Ok button.
3 On the next screen, you have to type chkdsk c: /f and press the Enter button.
4 You have to schedule the disk scan by pressing the Y button.
The scanning process will start after pressing the Y button.
4. Relocate the Steam installation and game files
If any of the solutions given does not work, you can apply this one to resolve your problem.
In this method, you only have to relocate the game files.
Let us see how we can relocate these game files to solve the content file locked error.
- Open the Client section of your Steam.
2 Click on the Settings button and select the Downloads option.
3 Click on the Steam library folders and select Add library folder.
Now, you have to choose the path where you want to locate the Steam.
4 After choosing the path, click on the Move folder to locate the game files.
5 Exit the Steam client section and visit the steam directory C: \Program Files \ Steam.
- Now, you have to cut all the game files causing the error.
Remember that you do not have to delete exe, stream apps and user data folders.
- Paste all these files and folders into the new directory.
- Re-launch Steam and log in to your account to check if the problem persists.
However, if you face problems while relocating the game files, follow these steps.
- Close the Steam and browse the location where you want to relocate Steam.
2 Cut the Steam app folders from the steam directory and paste them on your desktop.
3 Uninstall the Steam and reinstall it to the initial location.
4 Now, you have to move the Steam app folders to your new steam directory.
5 Open the Steam and log in to your account.
Lastly, check the integrity of your game files to check that the problem gets solved or not.
We guarantee that the methods given above in this article will help you to fix the Steam content file locked error. You do not have to panic and take any worry if you encounter this issue. Just follow these steps and enjoy the new update of your game.