being revolutionized by technology at present. The construction industry which is constantly updated with the most recent technology is one glaring example of this.
Certain construction technology trends such as the implementation of construction cones on the highways, usage of drones, and wearable, have paved the way for bringing the construction industry to the next level.
Here, we have talked about 3 such technologies which are being used right now in construction.
1. Machine learning and artificial intelligence
AI or artificial intelligence is actually intelligence depicted by a machine so as to imitate human behavior. Machine learning is a field of artificial intelligence where statistical techniques are utilized for enabling a computer to learn from information without being programmed explicitly.
Both artificial intelligence and machine learning are turning out to be integral parts of technology quite fast in the present construction industry.
Try to visualize a world where it would be possible to make use of computer systems for programming machines, robots, or automatically calculating and designing buildings. In fact, this technology is already used these days and it helps the construction technology to a great extent in terms of speed and cost.
Other than these, BIM construction, Robotics, Cloud and Mobile tools, digital twin, virtual reality are some of the most exciting developments in the construction industry for the past few years. These all developments help to increase the operational efficiency of the project and also can save money and time for the rework.
How machine learning and artificial intelligence benefit the construction industry:
- Designing buildings in a better way – It is possible to use machine learning for exploring different variations of any solution and creating design alternatives while considering the electrical, mechanical, plus plumbing systems.
- Making use of AI-powered automation for performing repetitive tasks can enhance productivity as well as safety to a great extent while addressing the deficiency of labor as well.
- Enhanced productivity – It is possible to make use of AI for powering machinery so as to perform repetitive chores like bricklaying or welding, pouring concrete, making the human workers free for construction, and so on.
2. The Internet of Things
IoT (The Internet of Things) has been already applied in construction technology to a great extent at present. IoT consists of smart sensors and devices which are able to share information with one another and you can easily control them from a central location.
Its implications are huge since it signifies that a more efficient, smarter, as well as safer way of functioning is possible right now.
Why use IoT in construction?
- It is possible to track footfall on-site and applications can be used for inducting and checking in and out the workers which can minimize the paper-heavy chores while saving a considerable amount of time as well.
- It is feasible to use smart machinery for performing repetitive chores and it will be able to maintain itself on its own, for instance, a cement mixer which is running low on cement can order more cement on its own by using a sensor which will boost productivity and efficiency in the long run.
- Enhanced safety – One can easily identify danger zones by making use of geolocation within the construction site and workers can be alerted by smart technology in case they enter the region.
- The usage of smart technology will help to minimize the carbon footprint to a great extent by implementing sensors in automobiles for switching off the engine once it becomes idle, or by computing wastage and making use of that information for informing a development’s layout to minimize travel across sites.
3. 3D Printing
It is a fact that 3D printing is turning out to be an essential construction technology at present, particularly when considering the impacts made by it to alterations in material sourcing. This particular technology will be able to create a 3-dimensional object from a computer-aided model, constructing the object layer by layer.
How 3D printing benefits the construction industry right now?
- 3D printing technology will be able to minimize the waste of materials and it will also help to save time by producing samples or even computing objects in 3-D.
- This technology comes with significant energy saving, labor, and material cost advantages in the construction sector.
- 3D printing technology can prove to be extremely beneficial for construction businesses which enable quick delivery of materials and minimization of additional unwanted steps in the technological process.
Overall, 2021 has been set to be a sensational year for construction technology since all these services become available more readily and become important for working towards a more efficient, smarter working, and safer environment.