VMware was one of the first commercially successful software virtualization companies to virtualize x86 architecture, and is listed under NASDAQ, under stock ticker VMW. The company creates server and desktop virtualization software that streamlines IT operations across the general IT infrastructure, on mobile devices, in data centres and throughout the cloud.
As a leader in the virtualization space, VMware creates very good job opportunities. So, it is very important to have a certification for many IT professional, especially those who work in data centres and support virtual environments.
Importance of VMware certification
- Recognition: getting a certification is essential nowadays. If you are certified in a field, it means that you are a professional in the subject in concern. Certification in VMware courses would lead you to gain recognition of your technical knowledge and skills.
- Career Advancement: certifications lead to career advancements. Being a professional in the field, you may get greater job opportunities. Nowadays, companies look for people who are best in the required fields and hire those who have sound knowledge in the same. VMware exams help you to get professional knowledge and subsequently help in career advancement.
- VMware Digital Badge: on attaining specific combinations of certificates, VMware awards digital badges to the candidate. The badge adds on to the candidate’s qualification and helps then attain a superior grip on the technical and professional knowledge.
Different Exam Categories and their Importance
- Cloud Management and Automation
Through this certification the general and advanced cloud computed knowledge is recognized, along with his skills of working with the vCloud Suite, including vRealize.
- The candidate should have worked with vRealize Autimation implementations for at least six months.
- New candidates or candidates who hold expired degrees should pass either vSphere 6 or vSphere 6.5 Foundation exam and then the VCP7- CMA exam to earn this designation.
- Candidates holding unexpired VCP6, VCP6.5 or VCP7 certification, only need to pass the VCP7- CMA exam.
- VMware 2V0-731 VMware Certified Professional 7- Cloud Management and Automation.
- Data Centre Virtualization
This certification deals with the skills related to vSphere 6 and vSphere 6.5. Through this certification one gets proficient in installing and managing VMware vSphere environments.
- A candidate needs at least six months’ experience with VMware infrastructure technology.
- New candidates needs to complete a required training course and pass the vSphere 6 or vSphere 6.5 Foundation exams.
- VMware 2V0-622 VMware Certified Professional 6.5 Data Center Virtualization.
- VMware 2VB-601 VMware Specialist vSAN 6.x Exam.
- VMware 2V0-602 VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations.
- Desktop and Mobility
This certification is basically designed for IT professionals who deploy and manage VMware Horizon with View environment. It focuses on vSphere 6 and Horizon 6 with View.
- The Candidate must have at least six months of experience with environments using vSphere 7 and Horizon 7 with view.
- The candidate must attend a training course along with passing either vSphere 6 or vSphere 6.5 Foundations Exams.
- VMware 3V0-752 VMware Certified Advanced Professional 7 – Desktop and Mobility Design Exam.
- Network Virtualization
Through this certification one designs, manages, and implements VMware NSX environments.
- The candidate must have at least six months experience of installing, configuring and administering NSX implementations.
- The candidate must attend a required training course along with passing two exams namely Cisco Routing and Switching or Data Center credential.
- VMware 2V0-642 VMware Certified Professional 6 – Network Virtualization 6.2 Exam.
- Digital Business Transformation
This certification is geared to executives and architects who understand technologies associated with VMware Cloud Foundation and Cross-Cloud Architecture solutions.
- Training is recommended but it is not mandatory.
- The candidate must VCA- DBT exam to earn this credential.
- VMware 1v0-701 VMware Certified Associate – Digital Business Transformation Exam
- Digital Workshop
This certification is targeted to IT professionals who are know configuring, managing, deploying, optimizing, troubleshooting, and maintaining Workspace ONE.
- The candidate must possess experience working with Digital Workspace solutions.
- The candidates who do not possess a VCP credentials, needs to attend a required training course and pass the VMware Certified Professional- Digital Workspace 2018 exam.
- VMware 2V0-761 VMware Certified Professional – Digital Workspace 2018 Exam.
Major Job Roles
The related job roles and career paths offered by the VMware certifications are system administrators and system engineers. The system administrator focuses of server provisioning and operation. It also focuses on maintenance of system hardware, software and related infrastructure. Whereas, system engineer applies higher level business or technical principals.