The concept of acquiring things that we need goes very far into historical times. The older generations introduced the concept of a barter system, which allowed two parties to exchange things of value to each other.
Then came the concept of buying and selling, and money. Different currencies were put to use and it became a token of value to be exchanged in order to acquire something of need.
Nobody could have imagined that in the near future, i.e. the world today, people would be buying and selling globally. Today, acquiring things of value has even surpassed the boundaries of distance. One can simply go to an e-commerce website, search for the product they need, and within a few minutes and a few clicks, an order is placed.
The role of technology
Modern developments in the field of technology have made many things possible that were unimaginable once. The invention of smartphones, laptops, etc has gracefully made our lives more convenient.
The benefits of the internet cannot be missed either. From the concept of electronic mails to bringing the whole civilization together through social media, the internet has completely transformed our lives. Now, it is hard to imagine a world without these facilities.
Technology has also helped with bringing buyers and sellers together. No matter the place of residence, one can easily connect with a seller or manufacturer anywhere in the world.
E-commerce website platforms
Electronic commerce or e-commerce is the term used for the process of selling and buying products or services with the help of the internet. There are different types of e-commerce exchanges:
- B2B (Business to business)- This is basically the exchange of products or services between companies.
- C2C (Consumer to consumer)- This is the exchange of products or services between consumers. It generally uses the aid of an online portal or platform to conduct these exchanges.
- B2C (Business to consumer)- This is the most common. It involves various goods being available to customers on online platforms, from different brands.
- C2B (Consumer to business)- This is the exchange of products or services from consumers to companies. Mostly, there are more than one options available for the companies to choose from.
Examples of e-commerce platforms
In the past few years, numerous e-commerce platforms have gained popularity among the people. The most famous example is eBay with about 182 million users on a global level.
eBay and some other platforms work using auction methods, unlike other platforms that promote direct selling and buying on fixed prices.
Benefits of shopping online
Living in a world that is extremely fast-paced and inhabited by work-oriented and ambitious people, technology has been a lifesaver. Here are some benefits of shopping online, in the comfort of your own house.
- Inexpensive pricing: Since middlemen are not involved in bringing the products to the buyers when using online platforms, the effective cost of the products or services decreases by a large margin.
- Convenience: It’s easier to order goods online than leave your house on the weekend for grocery shopping. Weekends can be used to rest and spend more time with family and in leisure activities.
- Fewer distractions, more savings: Shopaholics is a term used for people who tend to buy more than they need. When using online shopping platforms, it’s easier to stay focused on your needs, unlike being distracted and compelled to buy other things that are put up in the stores for showcasing.
- Variety: Online platforms generally have a huge collection of products from more than one brand. This means one can choose from the best specifications that are suitable for them, and also choose the best pricing, all in one place.
- Less interaction: If you are like many other introverts out there, you would know how physically draining it is to go out and interact with other people. The good news, using online platforms, you can easily buy your favorite things without the need to leave your house or interact with absolute strangers.
- Refurbished products: Online platforms also allow you to sell or buy old and unused products at a lower cost than new ones.
- Gifting made easy: Since shopping at online platforms does not require one to physically be anywhere, one can easily send gifts to their loved ones, who may live at a physical distance from them.
- Global reach: Online platforms also allow one to connect with sellers and buyers around the globe. This means that buying and selling globally is possible for products and services that may not be specifically available at your physical location.