The IMO Mathematics Olympiad or the International Mathematics Olympiad for class 10 students is conducted to examine the students on the basis of mathematical and analytical concepts. This is conducted on both national as well as international level. Students of class 10 can enter this examination by contacting any member from their respective school authorities.
Almost all the schools are registered with this examination. Therefore, almost all the students are able to participate in this examination.
The IMO examination helps the students to learn the concepts that are already taught in the classrooms in a clear and proper manner. The exam includes the syllabus that is already in their school curriculum. Hence, it helps them to learn only those concepts which they need to prepare for their academics. Preparing for these exams can also help them to prepare for their board exams.
While preparing for any exam, one needs to know the proper syllabus of the exam.
Math olympiad class 10 syllabus is designed to enhance the student’s basic fundamental skills based on topics like trigonometry, arithmetic progressions, statistics, etc.
The section-wise IMO syllabus of Class 10 is as follows:
- Section 1 contains Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning.
- Section 2 contains Real Numbers, Pair of Linear Equations in Two Variables, Quadratic Equations, Arithmetic Progressions, Coordinate Geometry, Triangles, Circles, Constructions, Areas Related to Circles, Surface Areas and Volumes, Introduction to Trigonometry, Some Applications of Trigonometry, Statistics, Probability, Polynomials.
- Section 3 contains the syllabus for this section as per the topics provided in section–2.
- Section 4 contains the section that covers higher-order thinking questions based on the topics incorporated in the syllabus of section – 2.
Tips for preparation
There are various tips for a student to prepare for the exam effectively. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Workbooks are of great help when we talk about the preparation procedure for the IMO examination. These books are a composition of the contents pertained from the academy board syllabus. Experts in Mathematics took care while constructing the content that’s reader-friendly and easy to understand. Workbook consists of answer keys along with a detailed explanation of the content. By exercising the Olympiad questions, get used to the questions and are suitable to score good in their final examinations. These new skills of the students flourish with the passing of time.
- Previous year question papers play a key role in contributing to the preparation process of the students. These papers include answers to varied questions specified in the previous Olympiad papers and provide a step-by- step guide to answering a vast array of problems. The papers are divided into various sections including mathematical reasoning, logical reasoning and everyday mathematics.
- Sample WorkBooks also proves to be an useful asset. The Indian Talent Olympiad provides a chance for all parents, preceptors and Olympiad applicants to take a look at the workbooks handed by the association. It allows all the interested students in buying these books to take a look at the type of the questions. Thus, students can make a decision after they look at the sample workbook. These books are handed out for class 1 to class 10. Workbooks are designed using the multiple choice questions with answer keys.
- Sample Question Papers are somewhat similar to the sample workbooks offered by Indian Talent Olympiad and are known as the sample question papers. The swish part about these sets is that before buying them online, they can see how the papers are set, the type of questions asked, and the position of difficulty of these questions. Every sample paper mentions class wise syllabus on to. It’s authentically easy to understand the paper pattern, marking scheme, number of questions asked in the paper, and the marks per question. Parents can follow the paper and understand what would be the likely questions asked in each section. All Olympiad examinations have a total of 3 sections. The time limit varies with all the classes. The IMO Class 10 Previous Year Paper 2012 is available here. It contains all the important questions that will help the students to get a rough idea about the questions and the question paper pattern.
- The Practice test series are planned openly for the students performing in competitive examinations. Experts in Maths took care while constructing the content that’s easy to understand. The Practise test consists of answer keys to the content. By exercising the Olympiad questions, become used to the contents, and can score well in their final examinations.
- Monthly and Annual Olympiads for students can allow them to participate in Olympiads online on a monthly basis or annually. This will help the students to keep a constant pace in learning new skills and concepts along with competing with peers at national and international level.
- Online Olympiad test questions can help the students to witness the examination-suchlike script. Trying online tests with time limits can help students to know the format of the paper along with the correct way to approach it. It will help in time operation along with adding speed and delicacy while answering. It will also contribute a lot in boosting up the confidence of the students.
Students need to acquire skills and knowledge out of the box from their school curriculum. These Olympiads prove to be the best platform for the enthusiastic students in helping them to learn new concepts and acquire knowledge from an outside medium than their school. Maths is one subject that requires immense and regular practice. It’s only when students solve a variety of questions, they get to understand abecedarian generalities easily. They are also suitable to apply these generalities learnt in class to all questions asked in Olympiads. It makes the brain sharper, helps students to concentrate on academic syllabus and thus perform well in academic examinations too. Also, students are allowed to compete in both national and international level which lets them know about the place where they stand among their peers. It will not only boost up their confidence but will also help in their academic future.