A formal letter template is a time-saving option. It includes everything that a document of this type should contain. How the recipient will perceive the sender depends on the appropriate formalization. This format is suitable for business correspondence with the appropriate words.
One of the criteria is clarity. There should be nothing superfluous in the body of the letter. Every word that is written should serve its purpose. An official tone should be used (no slang or jargon). Proofreading to eliminate grammatical and spelling errors is important. Another point is high-quality paper (e.g., when sending by mail).
What a formal letter template looks like
The appearance and layout of an official letter depend on its type. There are six basic categories.
- Marketing letter. This type of correspondence is used to advertise a product or service. Benefits are described, and there is an invitation to proceed and take action.
- Acknowledgments, for instance, in the case of dismissal or resignation.
- Inquiry. It is used when additional information about the product is required. It is sent in the response letter.
- Letter with an apology. It is used to notify the supervisors or customers of an error.
- Complaint. It is written in case of dissatisfaction with the quality of the product or service. The reason for dissatisfaction should be described in detail. It is specified what the company should return the money for. In addition, the amount is published.
- Cover letter. HR managers send such a letter along with the CV of a potential employee. The text may have details of education and expertise.
The type of letter determines the design and specific features of the letter. However, there are fields that remain unchanged, for instance, the contact information of the sender and the recipient.
Is it recommended to use a sample?
You can use the sample so you don’t leave out anything important. It is recommended to follow the format of a formal letter to ensure its effectiveness. You can’t do without certain elements.
- Contact information and name of the sender (company name).
- Date of drafting, subject, greeting.
- Contact information and name of the recipient.
- Letter body and signature.
The data that is indicated in the first paragraph should be written in the upper left corner of the document. The date is written below. When addressing a specific person, his/her position should be indicated, as well as the formal address, such as “Mr.”, “Ms.”, or “Mrs.”. Then the subject of the official letter is specified, which is better to write in capital letters. You can use the introduction, where the purpose of the correspondence is described.
Great attention should be given to the body of the letter. It usually consists of two or three paragraphs. The first one should be used to introduce yourself and indicate the purpose of writing the letter in order to catch the reader’s attention. The bottom part should have a signature. Not only the sender’s name can be written underneath. It is also possible to include an e-mail address and a cell phone number.
What are the benefits of Pandadoc?
Pandadoc is one of the off-the-shelf software products developed by an American IT company. It is used to automate document flow and reduce labor costs. In addition to the written that is the original one, there is also a digital signature. When the document is written, it can be sent for approval. The special features include:
- employee access management;
- joint processing of documents;
- file circulation analytics;
- integration with CRM systems.
You can choose templates from a ready-to-use collection stored on your computer or cell phone. Another option is to write a text from scratch using the built-in editor. In addition to formal letters, there are samples of marketing documents, contracts, invoices, checks, etc. You can add text, a video, a picture, and a price list.