Memorial Day is very significant in our lives as this day is celebrated in remembrance of the people who died while serving our nation. The day is celebrated to honor those men for whom the nation was up against even their lives. Memorial day does not only makes us proud of having such men in our country but also is a reminder that we do not let these sacrifices go waste!
Be Patriotic and Be Proud
Memorial Day is a perfect occasion to pay respect to those men who served our nation with full diligence. Let people know about this day and about the great souls by spreading messages, quotes and statuses on various media platforms. Here is the list of things one can do to make Memorial Day an occasion to be celebrated and proud of!
- Upload statuses on Facebook, Whatsapp etc that are filled with proud moments of this day.
- Upload pictures of ex-army men with the nation’s flag and a few lines on the sacrifice they did for the country.
- Send out messages as reminder of what happened on this day and why they shall be proud to be a part of their country.
Few Glorious Memorial Day quotes you would love to share!
Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country. : JOHN F.KENNEDY
I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. : NATHAN HALE
The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example. : BENJAMIN DISRAELI
And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. : LEE GREENWOOD
The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. : WILLIAM HAVARD
The dead soldier’s silence sings our national anthem. : AARON KILBOURN
We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them. : FRANCIS A. WALKER
Express patriotism loud and clear to evoke the feeling of pride and honor !
We go crazy uploading pictures, messages, statuses etc on days like birthdays, marriages, anniversaries etc, so why slow down when it comes to remembering martyrs on Memorial Day. This day should make every citizen proud and to make this happen you can be as loud as possible through social media platforms. The messages and quotes on this day should evoke feeling like:
- The country is proud to have had such heroes who have set examples of patriotism for the generation ahead.
- People must celebrate Memorial Day not just to remember our ex-army men but also to make sure these sacrifices do not go waste.
- Messages full of pride and honor should be posted to evoke patriotism.
- Memorial day messages shall be filled with the feeling of love, respect, pride, honor and remembrance and not just sorrow.
- Share speeches and poems to honour and remember the martyrs.
Extracts from some famous Poems to be shared on Memorial Day!
For The Fallen- Laurence Binyon
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
The Soldier- Rupert Brooke
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there’s some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England.
Drummer Hodge- Thomas Hardy
Yet portion of that unknown plain
Will Hodge for ever be;
His homely Northern breast and brain
Grow to some Southern tree,
And strange-eyed constellations reign
His stars eternally.
In Flanders Field- John McRae
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
Charge of the Light Brigade- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wonder’d.
Honour the charge they made!
Go beyond Usual messages to call attention instantly!
Sharing messages, quotes, pictures etc on Memorial Day may be a usual thing but sending out witty messages is unusual. Send out witty messages to attract attention instantly and shake the citizens to work for country in order respect the ex-country men.
Some messages tone can spread on various social media platforms:
- On Memorial Day, I don’t want to only remember the combatants. There were also those who came out of the trenches as writers and poets, who started preaching peace, men and women who have made this world a kinder place to live. : Eric Burdon
- True patriotism isn’t cheap. It’s about taking on a fair share of the burden of keeping America going. Robert Reich
- Over all our happy country – over all our Nation spread, Is a band of noble heroes – is our Army of the Dead. Will Carleton
- The average American is nothing if not patriotic. Herbert Croly
- Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. George Washington
Activities to make Memorial Day a memorable one!
- National Memorial Parade: Watch it live or on the television but do not miss the best marching bands, performers, floats, youth groups and much more to get the best of Memorial day celebrations.
- Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Rally: Since 1998, this rally brings together POW’s and MIA’s from all over U.S to honor the army men who sacrificed their lives during Vietnam War. The rally is called ‘ride for freedom’.
- National Memorial Day concert: Organized on the West Lawn of U.S Capitol this event is specifically dedicated to men and women in uniform and their families. The concert is free for all have some prominent celebrities as attendees.
- National Mall: Visit and pay tribute by offering bouquets to the memorial of brave men served the nation.
- Flag-In : Witness the magnificent Flag-In during the memorial weekend at the Arlington National Cemetery where the army men and women place country flags at graves of more than 25,00 ex-country men.
Memorial Day is very important as it makes us realize that how much sacrifice army men do to let us live and enjoy our freedom. The day shall be celebrated as a reminder to ourselves for our duties and responsibilities towards our country. The day shall fill us with feeling of pride, honor, love and respect for great army men who have sacrificed their lives to serve the country. The day shall be celebrated in full spirit to honor them and their families.
Memorial day is celebrated on the last Monday of May every year and is considered as Federal holiday in United States. The day is also called as ‘Decoration Day’ and is celebrated to honor and respect the country men who lost their lives during wars and while serving the nation.