The most successful marketing campaigns are a traditional-digital marketing mix. A digital marketing approach may work for a specific campaign, but at its essence a mix of traditional and digital marketing can be the right combination and can deliver big results.
What is the digital marketing mix?
Basically, the digital marketing mix has the same basic concept as the traditional marketing mix, which is made up of the information that includes product, place, promotion, price, packaging and positioning. All of these components when applied to the digital marketing mix create a solid digital marketing strategy and can drastically be improved with the use of contemporary digital marketing platforms.
The traditional marketing mix is considered to be fairly outdated as it does not consider the customer but more so the market a particular company operates in. Digital marketing stresses the importance of customer orientation versus the traditional market orientation.
Smartphones and computers have taken over the world so taking a digital marketing course will ensure you understand how you can use the traditional marketing mix in your digital marketing efforts.
Traditional marketing in the digital world
The combination of b2b direct mail marketing and digital marketing in your digital marketing strategy can bring your marketing full circle by boosting your visibility and therefore generating more leads.
Mixing traditional and digital marketing can benefit a limited geographic business which can make your marketing efforts much stronger and more widely visible.
Contemporary vs traditional marketing methods
Using newer marketing methods does work in today’s technological age and can increase your client base, however completely replacing traditional marketing methods can had a less than desired outcome from your marketing efforts.
A traditional marketing mix is carried out via a newspaper, physical mailbox, tv, radio, print advertisements or direct mail rather than potential customers having to go online to find your business or service.
The most effective marketing strategy includes a mix of traditional and digital marketing. For instance, a newly-developed software can be launched through an event marketing campaign.
Traditional marketing mix
- Flyers – The use of flyers has been around for a long time and can be one of the most effective aspects of a marketing campaign. Take advantage of websites such as MyCreativeShop that teach you how to make effective flyers, and even offer custom templates for all business categories.
- Cross-marketing campaigns – By combining a great product that ties in with another service or business can be a good way to benefit both businesses.
- Direct mail – Often seen as a thing of the past and a more expensive form of marketing, direct mail can be a very effective lead generation tool.
- Newsletters – Whether a single sheet or a booklet, a newsletter can offer news-worthy information about your product or service.
- Posters – If creative enough well-positioned posters can create awareness of your product or business.
- Brochures – This marketing option has a lot of choices, for example a brochure can be a simple booklet or a tri-fold.
- Envelopes – Often ignored – a simple envelope can make your brand stand out from the rest.
Integrating tradition and digital marketing mix
Marketing cannot ignore new digital marketing techniques however traditional consumer behaviour must also be kept in mind. For many businesses reaching the right marketing mix is key to achieving the best results, but it’s often not easy. This is where gaining clarity on the traditional vs digital marketing approach is important.
More and more people are logging on to the internet each day, which includes the purchasing of goods and services, so now, more than ever the integration of traditional and digital marketing is paramount to your digital marketing strategy.
For larger companies who have a well-established large off-line audience it makes sense to choose to lean more towards traditional marketing, in the same way, digital marketing offers a smaller business a less expensive form of marketing.
Digital marketing benefits
- Easier customer engagement – traditional marketing does not allow direct interaction with customers, whereas digital marketing offers a higher level of customer engagement.
- Measurable results –it’s often difficult to tell with traditional marketing whether you are heading in the right direction, but digital marketing lets you measure marketing results by giving you access to a ton of information on your marketing efforts.
- Amplified audience – unlike traditional marketing, which is limited in many ways, digital marketing lifts many boundaries.
- Less expensive – but more effective as digital marketing gives you more bang for your buck.
If you would like to learn more about Digital Marketing and how you can integrate it into your marketing efforts then go to Digital School of Marketing where you can get accredited in a vast array of different marketing courses that will go the extra mile on your CV.